Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 2 May 2016

Factory, (finally finished - ish)

Front view
Whilst I'm sure I could a lot more to this model, I'm declaring it 'finished'.
As far as I'm concerned it is fit for purpose though I'm stll uhappy with the roof and there is a perspex panel still missing from it (to allow me access).
There is also the internal gantry assembly to do and instal, but as that's another sixty or so pieces of MDF (and yes that's 60+)  to glue and paint, The gantry etc. is not essential and although I will be doing it at a future date I'm just too sick of this model atm to do any more of it.
Side view (spot the poster)
The only 'extra' detail I've added is a single poster to the outside wall, near the external gantry door, to cover the hole left from the excluded ventilation shaft.
Internally I did want to add more posters etc. and a bit of detritus - oil drums and so on.
Side view




The side with the 'annex' now fits tightly and the roof removes easily, though there's no photo showing the boringly bland empty interior!
The original intention of this 'annex' I presumed was as some sort of boiler-room - hnce the chimney. I've obviously omitted the chimney and intended to use the 'annex' as either an office or  maybe even a toilet (I'm pretty sure it'll be an office though).

When one door opens....
A peciluiar aspect of the design of this model is the two corner doors adjacent to one anothe and it doesn't matter how you assemble the model either, you always end up with a corenr with two adjacent doors ! - Strange.









Obligatory boring view
The roof (duh)
 The roof as has been said previously, still needs attention, but will wait in the queue of "Things still to do".  Nothing much has really changed in the last week save that the large blue-grey doors and the smaller red doors have all been added and glued in place in various states of open/closed.  I've also touched up the paint in some areas, added rust etc. but nothing major.
I now need to find it a home, which will require a bit of reorganising my shelves - this really does need a more secure storage space because of the fairly fragile stairs.




That's it for this week, next week I'll be giving some thoughts about MDF in general and this model in particular.

Thanks for taking the time to visit and as always all comments and criticisms are welcome



28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks HW, it's turned out almost as well as I'd hoped.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Colin, always nice to hear from you.

      Delete
  3. That is a very nice looking building. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I did try to make it not look brand new.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Tito, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Factory looks the "dogs2 mate I have enjoyed following the build and enjoyed the finished result as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, I didn't really think that I'd get such a good response for such a run-down filthy looking building.

      Delete
  6. Love it. With the paint and the finish on the planes I think it looks splendid and also with a british look. Great work Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ptr, I'm just pleased I got it to this stage; I'm now curious though why it looks 'British'

      Delete
    2. The shape of the windows and also the colour of the door.Maybe its just me but I get a atmosphere of hard work and a cup of tea. :) / Peter

      Delete
    3. Also the colour on the socket brings out the feeling.

      Delete
    4. I guess you're right, I thought of dull and uninspiring - very British

      Delete
  7. ...and what a fecking beauty! Excellent work Joe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AL, it'll certainly make a good centrepiece to a game.

      Delete
  8. Quite a nice bit of modeling, Zab. I can hear shuffling and shells being loaded into chambers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, sound effects would fit nicely intothe building, once it was fleshed out with the usual crates etc.

      Delete
  9. A very fine factory, Joe! Although tempted, I've yet to pick up any MDF kits. This one looks really nice, I also like the roof. The factories and train buildings of yesteryear had SOO much better styling than those built today! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I'll give my final thoughts on MDF buildings sometime in the fututre.
      This model, I'm sure, could get away with being used from the 1920's onwards.

      Delete
  10. A fantastic piece, Joe - and if it looks almost as how you imagined it, it is probably a lot better than it looks on the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Mattyoo, I have to say the photographs make itlook a lot better than I thought they would. There are many things I would do differently if I was to build this again, despite first 'practising' on the smaller version.

      Delete
  11. It looks marvellous Joe. Well done it has been a pleasure to see it come together over the previous postings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THnks Brummie, I do hope that my 'take' on this model has helped others to envisage their own individual builds.

      Delete
  12. That just looks fantastic. I'd love to game around that. Look forward to seeing a report with it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I too would love to have a game around it, but I'm not holding my breath.

      Delete
  13. Awesome job! That will make a great piece on the table. Add a couple of warehouses nearby and you have a nice little industrial zone. It's a fun building, I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks N667, it was one of my targets this year to add some warehousing this year to go with the containers I amde a while ago.

      Delete