Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 7 December 2015

Burger Joint (Street 6)

So this week I've made a start on the internal fittings for the street's burger joint.
It took a while to make all the pre-fabricated bits to align and fit into something that I was happy with.
I also had to omit a wall as I was running out of internal space to fit it - one of the problems of not allowing for wall thicknesses when planning a model.
Plan view
Here then is a general plan view of the 'woring' end of the burger joint, notice how the camera angle makes the whole thing look skewed ? - (There's a reason for that, as it is -  but not as much as appears).
The photograph below shows a larger view of the place, so, clockwise from the door*where Sid is)we have the kitchen unit, toilet (rest room for any US readers), main seating area (currently standing only), the counter area and a small store area. 











Bigger plan view of the 'important' bit

Kitchen - from a WorldWorksGame pack
Toiler entrance (notice the door to the counter area)

Counter service area with Sid in the Kitchen
Reverse view of counter 

The 'missing'  wall was a short section between the back door and  the store area, but I decided it would be too small in the final build and was omitted.
Bits
Some bits from my bits box; I'm not happy with the washers (guess where they're for) , but the kitchen unit and boxes are OK and will be usable .







Shelving once more by WorldWorksGames
The photograph on the right shows a quick mock-up of the Blue Sun store, using bits, again from my bits box, that I made several years ago. I will scratch-build some specifically for the Blue Sun store though, as I originally intended and as I did for my Superdupermart














Storage area for the Blue Sun

The store-room for the Blue Sun store will probably have some shelving added and a few extras too - the boxes came from my bit's box and were made for the storeroom (years ago too)
The most 'interesting' bit of this photograph is probably the slot that can be seen on the back wall, for the shutter door to be inserted into - hence making an opening door.
The door was made (years ago) but remains elusive  - I've a feeling a may have to make another one = ho-hum






Stairs ?
I also had an attempt at making some card stairs for the rear of the building, but as can be sen from the photograph this was a bit of a catastrophe and one of the reasons I decide to do more scratch-building rather than pure card-stock stuff as this model was meant to be.
Building in card is not as easy as some would have us believe.  Losing bits, doesn't help either One of my steps from this aborted staircase went missing too !
Soapy Waters' proper entrance
Whilst on the subject of missing bits, to add to the list was the doorway for 'Soapy Waters'  - the laundromat and centre building of my street. This of course showed up after I'd improvised a new entrance and had it glued into place!









This is why I can't have nice things
The photograph on the right shows the typical devastation to my games table that occurs when I'm building anything. I need to really clear this up for the holiday period on the off-chance that I'll be able to get a game in (I also need to clear our dining table, where my arena sits for a completely different, but probably obvious reason)



 Further work on this project has had to be halted until my printing queue is back on track and I get around to designing the upper floor layout, so that's all for this week, goodness knows what I'll have to post about next time, but I hope you've found something of interest.



27 comments:

  1. Looks great. Not sure I'd go there for a burger, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ML, I doubt I'd go there either, but it was made to be a bit slum-like.

      Delete
  2. Cracking stuff Joe. Hopefully this'll prove to be a central building to one of your wonderful BatReps in the future? It looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Echoing what BK said, hope to see this in a batrep mate, like real soon...hint hint..... ;-)

      Delete
    2. Of course it will make it into a bat-rep, otherwise there wouldhave been no point in making it, but don't be epecting it soon.
      I am hoping to play a game soon, but as it'll probably be a 'day one' scenario then it'll be up to the player.

      Delete
  3. I can see a 'last stand' at the burger grill before too long. Great job Joe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, it's not a bad place to hole up in, but with all tht meat....

      Delete
  4. Everywhere I look, I see your fine modeling touches, Zab. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, much appreciated, but you have to get out more.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks PC, I'll be very happy if I get such plaudits when it's eventually finished.

      Delete
  6. I'm loving this series of posts Joe! Taking us behind the scenes, as it were. The step by step is helping me get a much better idea of the process. As you said, it's not as easy as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, I do wonder at times if this sort of wip helps folk; I have trouble getting clean joins with card, pper and foam-board and yes some make it look so damn easy.

      Delete
  7. Excellent interior, I love the detail work. It will make for an exciting battleground. Your city blocks have been great to see getting built. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks N667, the interior is a half-copy from the interior of a similar building in a computer game wherein I did ake it into a battlefield (didn't end well btw)

      Delete
  8. Excellent stuff mate. It is all the little extras that usually make your scenery so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, the 'extras', the bits and pieces I add as detail will come at a much later stage and are probably the easiest bits of a model.

      Delete
  9. Looks great. I competely agree its amazing how when you start adding in the internal bits how all of a sudden it gets closed in. Especially when you have to take in consideration of a figures base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brummie, whilst the internals really make a model pop' I'm always aware that I need to fit figures in them too - one of the reasons why I went for thin 20mm bases.

      Delete
  10. Ah, I have to go read all the posts I've missed from you in the past months! The burger joint looks great as always and makes me wonder why can't I just make a production line for all the bits and bobs you put on your builds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mattyoo, always good to know you're catching up after your noticeable absence. I have so much stuff made in by my 'production line' because I've got so much time on my hands and I don't mind the repetitive boring-ness of it - plus I can't afford to buy anything!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks C6, I hope it will be when it's finished

      Delete
  12. A messy desk means a messy head. An empty desk.....

    Looks really cool Joe! Master builder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LS, I'll use that "messy etc," as a quote for my wife - NOT (I like breathing and her desk is similar)
      I wish I was as talented a model builder as some examples I've seen from others.

      Delete
  13. Really, really nice job there Joe! I got a lot of inspiration from your graphical work but this one was the best by far.Keep posting!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ptr, I'm always pleased when someone can take inspiration from anything I do, just I take inspiration from the efforts of others.

      Delete