Welcome to my blog, the story of my continuing journey into the World of Zombie Wargames.

Monday 4 March 2013

Flats

The title to this week's blog is really a play on words as the term "flats" refers not only to the British use of the word referring to apartments, but also to the theatrical use of scenery.
To pad out my board with scenery, I've made a few shells of buildings. That is to say that they're nothing more than four walls and a roof.
 The photograph to the right shows my first attempt.
The original building comes from the Microtactix set "Twilight Street Set 2 - Apartment". I've done a few things to the original to better suit my needs, hence there are no windows on the sides of the building , nor are there any basement windows, both of which featured in the original.
The original model is more suited to smaller figures rather than 28mm figures so I also enlarged the orginal by about 50%.
The original model measured about 8cm wide by 15cm deep and 19cm high whilsy my enlarged version is approximately 12cm x 22.5cm x 28cm.
I've also put two models together to make a larger model still although internally there is no dividing wall.
The model is made from printed sheets stuck to foamcard, but the front steps were entirely scratch built from foamcard.
It was much easier to build he steps from foamcard as my attempt at paper folding steps was bad, very bad.
I also noted that the top step went directly to the door, rather than having a small landing, which I thought wrong and I've allowed for just such a one in my model. 
Of course, two  apartment blocks don't make a neighbourhood, so a built another model of the same block.


I fully intend to make at least two more of these models , they were quick to make and fairly easy for me as I really didn't have any measuring to do.
 The edging is a bit rough and ready in parts and the roofs really do need some roof furniture to set them off, even if its just roof exits, but they're usable enough for me as background scenery as they are.
Other than the printing time,  I spent about a couple of hours on each build about an hour making the steps and probably a further hour edging  and finishing off the roof.
These were the first of several shell-type buildings I've been working on amongst other on-going projects.

That's all for this week, I only have to welcome my latest follower "The Happy Whisk" and to say as always, comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

23 comments:

  1. You even have little stairs.

    Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do give the look you see in many US films .

      Delete
  2. I like those apartments. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool stuff, the stairs are a great touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orignal stairs were far too fiddly for me.

      Delete
  4. They look very nice (what, no detailed interiors?! Vampifan will have your guts for garters :-) ). I bet they're awkward to store, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got special dispensation from Vampifan and I've got a Doctor's note too.
      Currently they're stored on their sides, with another building inside, as they have no internal floors.

      Delete
    2. It's true. He's excused on the grounds of ill health!

      Delete
  5. Thats ace. I've not come across the company that makes them, got a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irqan, Wargames Vault sell all the Microtactix products (including some freebies too) -
      http://www.wargamevault.com/product/17679/TWILIGHT-STREET-2-Urban-Buildings-Expansion-Set?manufacturers_id=466&it=1

      Delete
  6. There pretty cool, they will take up one whole side of your board! FYI the Aussies use the term 'Flats' for apartments aswell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TE, I hope they'll occupy two of my terrain boards and thanks for the Oz info too.

      Delete
  7. Nice work, Joe, and the group shot showing all four side by side is most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan,close up they're a bit shoddy but en masse they're fiine.Now for just four more !

      Delete
  8. I Really like these. For a while I have been thinking of doing a 1920's Gangster game and these would be perfect. All the Action would be either at set locations or in the streets and these would suit very well. Thanks for showing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have had a gangster project in the back of my mind for many years and these are ideal for a 1920's city setting.

      Delete
  9. Damn fine work Mr Z. Very impressive build you've done here and great for hiding the edge of the board; I might just have to do this myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin; I think I'll be using them forpadding out the terrain aswell as for the edges of the world.

      Delete
  10. These look great will provide some good filler for the table

    ReplyDelete